Back
Jun
27
2018

LIAA launches startup support for attending international conferences, exhibitions and partner visits. Apply till July 3!

  • Image provided by:

300,000 EUR have been made available for startups to attend international conferences. The application deadline is July 3rd, 2018.

Financial support is available to startups who intend to travel to international events, conferences and tradeshows in order to attend as a participant, a speaker, or to meet with a potential investor. 

The maximum amount of funding available to one startup is 3800 EUR, and the sum can make up a maximum of 70% of total expenses. The remaining 30% must be self-funded. 

The application deadline is July 3rd, and can be submitted to attend conferences until December 31, 2018.

Who can apply for the support?

  • startups* that develop an innovative** product
  • startups that meet the micro, small or medium business status
  • have not been registered for longer than 5 years
  • until the point of applying, have a product to show for their business (have created a prototype, an MVP, or have demonstrated some level of know-how in their industry market)
  • revenue over the past year has not exceeded 300,000 EUR
  • over the past year have not received more than 200,000 EUR in de minimis support

Which events are available under this support?

  • participation in international exhibitions (including as an attendee as well as an exhibitor if meetings with potential investors and/or partners are held during the event)
  • participation in international conferences (including as an attendee as well as an exhibitor if meetings with potential investors and/or partners are held during the event)
  • International visits to potential investors or partners

"Participation" in international conferences is considered if:

  • the conference topic is related to the startup's industry and level of development
  • productive relationships will have formed - the recipients of the support will submit a summary of the event, as well as how participation will have impacted the development of the startup. The recipient of the support will have to name the potential clients, investors and partners met, as well as when the expected followup meeting will be held, as well as any results earned, such as an invitation to an accelerator, an agreement about future investments, or a signed contract with partners.

A visit to a potential investor will be considered if:

  • the investor has shown interest in the startup before the visit
  • a productive relationship was established. The recipients of the support will submit a summary of the event and should note if the conclusion of the meeting will result in an investment, as well as if the investor has noted any of the weak sides of the startup as well as any suggestions to improve them

A visit to a potential partner will be considered if:

  • the visit is justified by a planned cooperation of the development, implementation or manufacturing of the product
  • a positive relationship was established - the recipients of the support will submit a summary of the event, if an agreement on further cooperation has been made, as well as any terms that must be met in order to reach an agreement, or if an opinion on how to improve or develop the product was made known

What expenses are covered?

  1. Business trip expenses are covered for no more than two individuals. The number of days coveredinclude the days of the event, as well as a maximum of two additional days. Trip expenses include:
    1. Daily allowance
    2. expenses tied to the hotel (or sleeping arrangements)
    3. international or intercity economy class transportation expenses
  2. Expenses based on the participation in the event or trade show. Including:
    1. Participation fee
    2. Stand expenses
    3. Technical requirements
    4. Equipment rental, etc.
  3. Value Added Tax (VAT) if the startup is not able to regain it through established and available means.

Find out more here.